There are many reasons why Inspector General Michael Horowitz’s report on the government’s abuse of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) process should terrify and anger all Americans.
If not for the fact that the report refuses to recommend any direct punishment for any of the bad actors involved, then the fact that the report goes out of its way to list all of the misdeeds and wrongdoings of the Obama Administration in the 2016 election, only to not recommend any disciplinary actions, should be the most enraging of all.
Our friend and frequent guest on AMERICA First John Solomon has written an excellent comprehensive piece explaining the 17 worst discrepancies committed by James Comey’s FBI in its mishandling of the “Russian collusion” conspiracy theory, from multiple omissions of key information to the inclusion of blatant acts of wrongdoing that, in Horowitz’s mind, apparently do not warrant criminal charges.
Here we’ll break down the top five worst crimes committed by Comey’s FBI, whether by omission or otherwise, as highlighted by Solomon’s article and other sources.
- The FISA warrant deliberately omitted key testimony from Trump campaign aide Carter Page, wherein Page specifically said that he had “literally never met” then-campaign manager Paul Manafort, and that all of his attempted interactions with Manafort via email went unanswered. In so doing, the FISA warrant subsequently went on to claim that Page was part of some insidious conspiracy with Manafort to act as an intermediary between the Trump campaign and alleged Russian officials.
- Another crucial omission by the FISA application was in regards to the contact between Trump campaign aide George Papadopoulos and Joseph Mifsud, a Maltese professor and FBI informant who tried to entrap Papadopoulos and the Trump campaign by claiming that Russia had “dirt” on Hillary Clinton. Mifsud himself claimed that he never actually told Papadopoulos this, and said so to the FBI. Whether or not Mifsud was telling the truth, his testimony would have proven a fatal flaw to the FBI’s justification for a surveillance warrant; and that’s exactly why it was left out.
- In an example of an outright falsehood as opposed to a lie by omission, the FISA application claimed that Steele was not responsible for the leaking of information from his “dossier” to Yahoo News in September of 2016. But it was eventually confirmed that Steele did, in fact, directly give his smear file to Yahoo and many other mainstream media outlets, in a coordinated effort to gin up interest in his “findings” through a self-serving cycle of media leaks, reporting, and more leaks. This proved Steele’s untrustworthiness and personal political motivations, and the FBI FISA application mentioned none of it.
- Recent reporting has confirmed that the FBI was well aware of how fraudulent the Steele dossier was. As early as January of 2017, the FBI was “unable to corroborate any of the substantive allegations regarding Carter Page listed in Steele’s election reporting.” Even more stunning is the fact that the CIA outright dismissed the Steele dossier as an “internet rumor,” completely rejecting its findings altogether. Yet despite this broad consensus within the intelligence community, the FBI continued to rely on the Steele dossier for FISA surveillance renewals even after President Trump was inaugurated.
- By far the single most egregious act committed by the Deep State during the FISA process was highlighted by not just one, but two separate entries on John Solomon’s list. The FISA application deliberately omitted the most significant information of all regarding Steele’s bias and untrustworthiness: the fact that his work was bought and paid for by the Democratic National Committee, Fusion GPS, and the Hillary Clinton campaign. The connections between Steele, Simpson, and Clinton would have been more than enough to have the entire warrant dismissed on the grounds that this “evidence” came from such blatantly partisan sources. But that information was left out, and left the door wide open for the subsequent surveillance of the Trump campaign and Administration.
The most important thing to remember is the one and only common thread between all of these “discrepancies.” From the list of 17 fatal flaws, to the dozens upon dozens of other instances further highlighted by the IG report, they all trend in one direction: Every single “mistake,” whether by omission or by outright lies, only benefited the Deep State and harmed the Trump campaign.
That should tell you all you need to know about how these were not simply “mistakes.” It is far too convenient for every single instance of wrongdoing to go in the same direction. That is not incompetence; that is criminal behavior and a nefarious abuse of power, which the Obama Administration apparently believed they could get away with.
AMERICA First is the newest nationally-syndicated radio show in the United States, part of the Salem Radio Network. The host, Sebastian Gorka PhD., served most recently as Deputy Assistant for Strategy to the President of the United States, Donald J. Trump, and is author of the New York Times bestselling book “Defeating Jihad.” His latest book is “The War for America’s Soul.” You can follow him on Twitter @SebGorka, on Facebook, and on Instagram @sebastian_gorka. AMERICA First is available on the iTunes podcast app, streams live at www.sebgorka.com, and is on YouTube. You can contact him here.